Friday, May 1, 2015

3C Soup

I've been asked to share recipes I have found along this journey and I have obliged and added a few to my blog in the past year.  Most recipes are for dinner and many are carb free.  They are also good for company meals.  We eat fish (mostly salmon), pork, beef and a lot of chicken.  I employ a slow cooker, a pressure cooker, a gas stove and a gas bbq.  Many meals are quick and all are made with fresh ingredients.  Very rarely do I utilize anything canned and only low sodium products are used.  I use honey or maple syrup for sweetener as well as organic coconut palm sugar.  I have a variety of different vinegar's (balsamic, white balsamic, white wine, red wine, cider, rice and good ol white) as well as a few oils (olive, walnut, coconut). I still use butter but sparingly - most recipes you can substitute coconut oil it doesn't impart any flavour at all that we have noticed.  I have also substituted whole grain flour in recipes and while it does give a bit nuttier flavour or firmer complexion to the dish it is not much different in taste.  My advice is to experiment.  If you have the better ingredients on hand substitute.  I make all my own dressings fresh.  I use a very small mini food processor for that purpose and it works amazing.  Rule of thumb is if you make it then you know exactly what is in it!  The mantra is - no processed, no white, no artificial, no chemicals.  All fresh!

Here is the 3C Soup - Curried Peanut Chicken Coconut Soup with Roasted Tomatoes!

I like to google recipes and save them to pinterest.  I had part of a rotisserie chicken and thought hmmm what could I use that for - bingo.  I found one good size bowl very filling and I had enough left over for 2 lunches.  Makes 4 good servings.

3 C SOUP

1 small can organic unsweetened coconut milk (found in the ethnic aisle)
3 or 4 plum tomatoes or 1/2  large can low sodium tomatoes or 1 small can fire roasted tomatoes
fresh rotisserie chicken - 2 cups shredded (I used only the white meat)
2 tbsp curry paste - apparently it comes in red, yellow and green - I bought the red
2 Cups chicken broth - low sodium or home made
3/4 cup natural peanut butter
kosher/sea salt
roasted peanuts for garnish and a lime wedge if desired.

1) Roast tomatoes under the broiler for 5 minutes or until they start to blacken - you can buy canned roasted tomatoes but I am unsure if there is a low sodium variety
2) while they are roasting, in a large saucepan heat the chicken broth and whisk in the curry paste, bring to a boil
3) add the peanut butter and coconut milk while stirring constantly simmer for 2 or 3 minutes on medium high
4) add chopped or diced tomatoes and the shredded chicken add some kosher salt to taste (I use a pinch or two)
5) heat thoroughly - maybe 5 mins - but do not boil, stirring occasionally
6) serve in a bowl with chopped roasted peanuts and a lime wedge as garnish!

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment