Highlights over the past few weeks - in no particular order.
- Learned a few new machines at the gym. One is really tricky and one is a "treatment" machine. The tricky one we all tried in the group during a class session. Basically it is like surfing. You stand sideways on the machine and it goes up and down while going around in a circle. BUT the trick is that you can't or shouldn't move your upper body. Ok sounds simple? NOPE. Very difficult actually and a real workout in your buttocks and legs. Did I like it? Not especially but I will try it again. The other machine is basically a vibrating plate that you put your say leg or foot on and it vibrates at a very high speed. This sounds not so thrilling perhaps but the benefits are huge. This machine (which is a very expensive and closely monitored machine) has been used by NASA to help returning astronauts to combat and reverse bone density loss. That is one benefit (and a very important one). The other is that it helps to break down scar tissue on injuries. Or if you have very tight muscles or sore knees from muscles pulling this machine aids that. Not sure how it works in that respect but it does.
- Set a new swimming laps record. Finally I hit the 1 mile mark - I did 37 laps in a freestyle way in under 40 mins. What a feeling that was. I have tried to use the outdoor lap pool but have gone at odd hours (for me) so have had to actually use the indoor one as I do not like to share a lane with 2 or 3 other swimmers. In fact the last time I did laps I quit after 25 as a group of unruly under 15 yr old decided to horseplay and throw each other into the lap pool and mainly just frig around and mess it up. Also unfortunately the lifeguard on duty was ineffectual in telling them to stop or move on and gave up and walked away. Definitely a downside.
- Funny thing - went to the pub and people who I've seen every week for years said to me (and this was more than one) Did you do something new to your hair??? I know the pink is new but that's been there for a little while now. And...there is something different about you. LOL. So I played along, asked them well what do you think it is? One waitress looked and said well I HOPE you didn't get a boob job. ROFL. I'm like NO but look at this picture from April 29 and tell me what you think is different? Then they got it and that was so funny to me. A boob job. Really? Guess my thinner tummy makes my boobies look bigger - even though they are smaller too.
- Tried some excellent new recipes found through Google. Amazing that you can just type in say Shrimp and Bok Choy and presto a variety of things pop up and by carefully perusing the ingredients you can find the perfect healthy dinner choice. (Still no carbs for dinner).
- Had my lovely sister-in-law and brother-in-law over for Sunday dinner and made them the grilled steak and spinach salad with blueberry/roasted walnut dressing and feta. For dessert I made gin,mint, lime and cucumber sorbet. Delish! Just 1/2 ounce of gin/person but so cool and refreshing. It was a hit and we still ate properly (ok maybe the gin counts as a carb).
- Also had our friend GG over for BBQ open face burgers with caramelized balsamic onions and mushrooms. Very Yummy!
- Said goodbye to some of our TEAM group as they finished their 90 days. In celebration and to send April off to her new home in Georgia we had a little party after class. We were all challenged to bring a treat. Maria (Team leader) made black bean brownies. I googled and found a simple gluten free/grain free low cal Blondie recipe. It was awesome. I even printed out recipe cards for anyone who was interested. There was fruit salad, a light tasting lemon mousse and a tsatziki chicken salad on lettuce with gluten free crackers. We all received a certificate of achievement stating our weight loss and body fat loss to that point. There were some 50 lb losers in the group. How amazing for them. It was longer than 90 days (a year) but that is still an accomplishment indeed. My loss to that point was 23 lbs and 11% BF. I love my certificate!
- Long weekend at the cottage - where do I start. Father In Law's wife said she was glad for me and that to reward me she was going to give me 2.00/lb lost since someone had told her I was down 20 lbs. I said actually it is 23! (certificate in hand) and she said "oh, I don't think I have 46.00". I said um ok no worries really...you don't have to do that. (she didn't :p )
- Boat ride over to neighbours dock to drop daughter off and I hear " Hey Drew - where's the rest of Deb?" BEST COMMENT EVER!! Thank you Rick - made my DAY! Love my friends.
- Sitting on another neighbour's dock next day and she sent a picture of all of us to friends in the US who couldn't make it up that weekend. He noticed the difference and made a comment right back. :)
- Did a big thing - ok a couple of big things. On my own (but with my GearFit as witness) I walked and ran 5K! Yes I did! I couldn't believe that I did it. When I reached the halfway point (up and down 3 major hills mid day @ 33 degrees C) I was like YES I DID IT! OMG I DID IT! After catching my breath I turned around and ran/walked back. Total time was 41 minutes but that included 2 minutes at least talking to Sharon as she sat on the side of the road waiting for James and I couldn't just run by without saying hello. So realistically @ 39 minutes. And then 2 days later I did it again. This time earlier in the day and not stopping for chitchat. I was joined by my frienda Brenda on the way back and she talked me into going a bit further. I did it. Amazing for me. Honestly the difference from last year is lightyears away. Saying all this I am in no means ready to run/walk a 5K race but I am going to work up to it.
- Swam back and forth 6x from swim raft to dock and then right across the bay and back again. I felt strong and not tired at all. No idea how far that actually is but we will figure it out. Hardest part was avoiding the damn weeds. Ew.
- Went to see a friend perform at a local bar. For a lark I pulled out a pair of my fave jeans from a few years back to see if I could get them on. I did. I zipped them up. I wore them out that night. I could breathe in them. They are a size 10! Remember those size 14 shorts I got at Joe Fresh? They are baggy on me now. Still wearing them cause I love em but I need to take them in and wear a belt!
- Played my first baseball game in 28 years. Yes - 28 years. I hit the ball. I caught the ball. I ran to first base. That's it. I'm happy with that. Gonna play again next week.
Here's the updates.
Start Day 19 Day 26 Day 34 Day 41 Day 48 July 3 July 8
Weight - 190 181.9 179 179 177 173 167 167
BF% - 47.8 41 39 40 37.9 37 36
Waist - 40.5" 38" 36" 35.5 35 34 33.5 33
Bust - 44" 42.5" 42" 41.5 41 41 40.5 40
Hip - 46" 44" 43" 42.5 42 41 41 40.5
Upper Arm - 15" 12.5" 12" 12 12 12 12 11.5
Calf - 18" 16.5" 15.5" 15.5 15,5 15.5 15.5 15.5
Thigh - 25 or 26" 23.5" 22.5" 22 22 22'' 21.5 20.75
So let's look at the numbers:
190 - 167 23lbs
47.8 - 36 11.8%
W - 40.5 - 33 - 7.5 inches
B - 44 - 40 - 4 inches
H - 46 - 40.5 - 5.5 inches
A - 15 - 11.5 - 3.5 inches
C - 18 - 15.5 - 2.5 inches
Th - 25 - 20.75 - 4.25 inches
That's a mind blowing 27.25 INCHES total off my body. Am I happy YES. Am I slowing down? NOT on your life. Also 11.8% body fat loss. I am building muscle and we all know that weighs more than fat and that shows on my little friend who shows I am more evenly distributed. Instead of being more on the fat side each measurement is now starting to lean towards more on the lean/muscle side.
Thank you LIFE TIME. Thank you. I heart you.
Next time - more news. And a picture.